Long Island News
Girl shot by Taliban receiving life-changing surgery
OCEANSIDE (WABC) -- Even after all that little 6 year old Marizeh has been through, she still has a warm, welcoming smile.
She waved to the cameras just about an hour before going into surgery at South Nassau Communities Hospital.
Marizeh was brought here from her remote village in Afghanistan by Staten Island based Global Medical Relief Fund.
The Taliban ambushed her family last spring, murdering her father and brother right in front of her.
"She was being hidden underneath the feet of her father. They shot her in the face and they thought she had died she was there for about three hours until she was discovered," plastic surgeon Dr. Kaveh Alizadeh said.
"The bullet entered from the left cheek and the exit side was above the right orbit," Alizadeh said.
She lost her right eye and she has no ability to breathe through her nose because of the buildup of scar tissue.
"So our task today is going to be to take her to the operating room open up the scar the airwave and probably end up borrowing cartilage from the ear," Alizadeh said.
They'll use that to reline the inside of her nose. It's a remarkable surgery for a remarkable little girl
"She does know she is having surgery and that she's going to be better," Elissa Montanti, Global Medical Relief Fund," said.
The procedure should restore Marizeh's ability to breathe through her nose so she can sleep normally again, and she will receive a prosthetic eye.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, afghanistan, surgery, oceanside, taliban, long island news, kristin thorne
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos