Long Island News
Report: Trucking firm in LIE crash had violations
SHIRLEY -- A trucking company involved in a deadly 35-vehicle pileup on the Long Island Expressway has a blemished safety record.
Newsday reports that Jewell Transportation Inc. has been cited at least 23 times for unsafe driving since 2011.
Federal transportation records show that the company's fleet has also been involved in several accidents, including a fatal wreck last July in upstate New York.
A rig owned by the Vermont company collided with several other vehicles and caught fire Wednesday in a chain-reaction that killed a 68-year-old woman and left another driver critically injured.
Police have yet to say whether the truck's driver was at fault.
The rig was hauling debris from Superstorm Sandy.
An attorney for the trucking company and the driver says they are cooperating with the investigation.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, accident, shirley, suffolk county, long island expressway, long island news
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth 34 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Calendar says winter, feels like spring 40 min ago
- Brownsville hit and run accident kills pedestrian 3 min ago
- LI man charged with shooting wife in domestic dispute 2 min ago
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- Calendar says winter, feels like spring
40 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
34 min ago