Long Island News
Report: Trucking firm in LIE crash had violations
SHIRLEY -- A trucking company involved in a deadly 35-vehicle pileup on the Long Island Expressway has a blemished safety record.
Newsday reports that Jewell Transportation Inc. has been cited at least 23 times for unsafe driving since 2011.
Federal transportation records show that the company's fleet has also been involved in several accidents, including a fatal wreck last July in upstate New York.
A rig owned by the Vermont company collided with several other vehicles and caught fire Wednesday in a chain-reaction that killed a 68-year-old woman and left another driver critically injured.
Police have yet to say whether the truck's driver was at fault.
The rig was hauling debris from Superstorm Sandy.
An attorney for the trucking company and the driver says they are cooperating with the investigation.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, accident, shirley, suffolk county, long island expressway, long island news
- Metro North train collision to affect service all week
- AccuWeather: Humid week ahead, with showers
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Suspect in critical condition after NJ police shooting
- Hofstra remembers Andrea Rebello as probe continues
- Person of interest ID'd in deadly Queens bus shooting
- Rally planned after West Village hate crime murder
- 1 dead, 1 rescued when car ends up in Huntington Harbor 51 min ago
- Winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Florida city anxious to learn Powerball jackpot winner
- Photos: Photos from the Billboard Awards
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers