Long Island News
Report: Trucking firm in LIE crash had violations
SHIRLEY -- A trucking company involved in a deadly 35-vehicle pileup on the Long Island Expressway has a blemished safety record.
Newsday reports that Jewell Transportation Inc. has been cited at least 23 times for unsafe driving since 2011.
Federal transportation records show that the company's fleet has also been involved in several accidents, including a fatal wreck last July in upstate New York.
A rig owned by the Vermont company collided with several other vehicles and caught fire Wednesday in a chain-reaction that killed a 68-year-old woman and left another driver critically injured.
Police have yet to say whether the truck's driver was at fault.
The rig was hauling debris from Superstorm Sandy.
An attorney for the trucking company and the driver says they are cooperating with the investigation.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, accident, shirley, suffolk county, long island expressway, long island news
- Bronx fire leaves 2 dead, 3 firefighters hurt 30 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives 48 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Triple stabbing at Stamford High School
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx 30 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
48 min ago