Long Island News
Report: Trucking firm in LIE crash had violations
SHIRLEY -- A trucking company involved in a deadly 35-vehicle pileup on the Long Island Expressway has a blemished safety record.
Newsday reports that Jewell Transportation Inc. has been cited at least 23 times for unsafe driving since 2011.
Federal transportation records show that the company's fleet has also been involved in several accidents, including a fatal wreck last July in upstate New York.
A rig owned by the Vermont company collided with several other vehicles and caught fire Wednesday in a chain-reaction that killed a 68-year-old woman and left another driver critically injured.
Police have yet to say whether the truck's driver was at fault.
The rig was hauling debris from Superstorm Sandy.
An attorney for the trucking company and the driver says they are cooperating with the investigation.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, accident, shirley, suffolk county, long island expressway, long island news
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos