Long Island News
Cops: Drunk man's car goes airborne with child inside
SPEONK -- A Long Island man has been arrested on a DWI charge after police say his car became airborne when he failed to navigate a turn with his 2-year-old child inside.
Southampton Town police say Timothy Shaw of Rocky Point was arrested in Speonk on Thursday.
They say he was speeding on Montauk Highway when he struck an embankment and his Subaru Forrester became airborne. The vehicle cleared a four-foot residential fence and struck a utility pole head on before coming to rest in the backyard of a house.
Police said Shaw and the child were not hurt.
Shaw also was charged with endangering the welfare of a child and violating "Leandra's Law" for driving while intoxicated with a child less than 16 years of age.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, drunk driving, long island news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch 36 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- NJ police investigating deadly skydiving accident
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
36 min ago