Long Island News
Man indicted in neighbor's decapitation murder
CENTRAL ISLIP (WABC) -- A Long Island man charged with murder after the body of his nearly decapitated neighbor was found in his closet will be arraigned Thursday on a grand jury indictment in Riverhead.
Police say Aston Barth, 33, confessed to strangling 35-year-old Jason Campbell during an argument in Barth's bedroom in his Central Islip apartment.
Barth allegedly told Suffolk detectives that he struck Campbell in the neck with an ax, post-mortem, in order to dismember the body.
Campbell was reportedly kept in Barth's bedroom closet for about a week before his mother and brother discovered the remains on December 24.
Barth is being held without bail in the Suffolk County Jail.
If convicted, Barth could face up to 25 years to life in prison.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, central islip, murder, long island news
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Next City Council Speaker likely Melissa Mark-Viverito
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos