Long Island News
Kid raises money for Guardsman after fire
EAST PATCHOGUE, N.Y. (WABC) -- The door to Eric Carver's home is chained shut now, after a fire destroyed virtually everything inside just two days after Christmas.
Master Sergeant Eric Carver wasn't home. He's serving in the Air National Guard, right now deployed in Africa.
He may have been helpless in this situation, but not to worry, he has friends to help.
"All he's done for us in this community, he's always the first one there for everything," said Thomas Roach, neighbor.
10-year-old Thomas Roach decided to pitch in. First, he gave up all the money he'd just gotten for Christmas two days earlier.
"He was going to use his Christmas money that he received to buy the bracelets and sell them to the neighbors to try and raise money," said Patricia Sitler, neighbor.
Roach has raised more than $3,500 to help rebuild Carver's house in a week, and he's still going.
"How does that make you feel that people responded to your idea like that?" Eyewitness News asked.
"Excited, because I'm like, raising a lot of money for him," Thomas Roach said.
"A few tears, I was so proud of him," said Debbie Roach, Thomas' mother.
Carver will have a lot of work to do on his home when he returns in a few weeks, but not as much as he would have had to do, and now he'll have a little financial head start thanks to his friends in the neighborhood.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, fire, long island news, jim dolan
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick 9 min ago
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Newtown school shooting vigils planned for Thursday
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating
- George Bush writes letter to Alabama kicker after big loss
- Software engineer teaches homeless man how to code
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos