Long Island News
Hit and run driver critically injures teen
WEST ISLIP, N.Y. (WABC) -- A 16-year-old boy is fighting for his life at Good Samaritan Hospital.
It's been five nights since he was struck by a hit and run driver.
His friends still can't believe it.
"We just heard like bang, bang, and we ran out," said Shawn Malone, the victim's friend.
They found their friend, who Shawn Malone says is 16-year-old Ryan McCarthy, motionless alongside Udall Road in West Islip.
He was struck by a car that then sped off.
"It sounded like a car crash, it was so bad," said Bailey Krowl, the victim's friend.
Bailey Krowl and Shawn Malone say they were hanging out with Ryan McCarthy and others earlier on New Year's Eve.
Later they say, Ryan and another friend apparently started to cross Udall Road.
Shawn says his friend told him that's when they encountered the car which they believe had initially been heading southbound.
"The car like passed and swerved into them, I guess like a joke or something. And they screamed at them. Then, the car like stopped and turned around and then went back and swerved into him and hit him," Malone said.
He ended up over on the corner where his friends ran to help and called an ambulance.
Ryan was rushed to Good Samaritan Hospital where police say he is critical condition.
Police are looking for a blue late-model Chrysler 300 with damage to the driver's side headlight assembly and the driver's side mirror is also missing.
Ryan's friends are hoping he will recover.
"He's really nice. He's such an innocent kid. He would never hurt a fly, you know he was a really cool kid," Malone said.
"He didn't deserve it. He's such a good kid, it's so stupid," Krowl said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, hit and run accident, long island news, tim fleischer
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 56 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Animal activists protest outside Liam Neeson's home
- Another delayed GM recall detailed by new documents
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines