Long Island News
Family gets dream home after Superstorm Sandy
AMITY HARBOR (WABC) -- A family that lost everything when Superstorm Sandy hit, just months after learning their young son is suffering from Leukemia, came home after a trip to Disney to find their dearest wish had come true.
Friends and family greeted the Heckman's of Amity Harbor, Long Island as they arrived home - a trip that was only part of their dream come true.
A brand new home awaited them. Their old one was destroyed by Sandy, but volunteers with the Long Island chapter of the National Association of the Remodeling Industry pitched in and worked around the clock to give the young family more than they ever expected.
6-year-old Steven Heckman was diagnosed with Leukemia last summer, and then things got worse when Sandy hit. However, the generosity of neighbors and strangers has given the family a lot to be thankful for in 2013.
"This is the biggest blessing, a dream come true!" said Daniele Heckman.
The Make-a-Wish foundation got the ball rolling by reaching out to the National Association of the Remodeling Industry. The NARI says their goal was to give the family not just a house, but a home.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, hurricane, hurricane sandy, long island news, sandra bookman
- Thousands run final mile of Boston Marathon 6 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend 37 min ago
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- Bethpage Air Show cancelled for Saturday due to weather 39 min ago
- 2 killed, 1 missing in upstate New York plane crash
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Teen questioned in Queens bus shooting released
- Amanda Bynes speaks out about arrest
- abcnews: Cleveland Women Can Keep Captor's Dogs
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: Boston Marathon Last Mile 8 min ago