Long Island News
Family gets dream home after Superstorm Sandy
AMITY HARBOR (WABC) -- A family that lost everything when Superstorm Sandy hit, just months after learning their young son is suffering from Leukemia, came home after a trip to Disney to find their dearest wish had come true.
Friends and family greeted the Heckman's of Amity Harbor, Long Island as they arrived home - a trip that was only part of their dream come true.
A brand new home awaited them. Their old one was destroyed by Sandy, but volunteers with the Long Island chapter of the National Association of the Remodeling Industry pitched in and worked around the clock to give the young family more than they ever expected.
6-year-old Steven Heckman was diagnosed with Leukemia last summer, and then things got worse when Sandy hit. However, the generosity of neighbors and strangers has given the family a lot to be thankful for in 2013.
"This is the biggest blessing, a dream come true!" said Daniele Heckman.
The Make-a-Wish foundation got the ball rolling by reaching out to the National Association of the Remodeling Industry. The NARI says their goal was to give the family not just a house, but a home.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, hurricane, hurricane sandy, long island news, sandra bookman
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn 26 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 5 min ago
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified 50 min ago
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 6 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
5 min ago