Long Island News
Suffolk County police officer killed in crash
COMMACK (WABC) -- An early morning accident killed an off-duty Suffolk County police officer in Commack on Friday.
The truck was backing out of a business onto Route 25 at 3:33 a.m.
Curley, 40, of Huntington, was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver of the garbage truck, James Jarosch, 59, was not injured.
Curley, a Second Precinct police officer, was a member of the department for 17 years.
The SUV was impounded for a safety check and the garbage truck was inspected by Motor Carrier at the scene. Jarosch was issued summonses for unsafe backing and equipment violation.
The investigation is continuing. Anyone with information on the crash is asked to contact Fourth Squad detectives at 631-854-8452 or call anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS. All calls will remain confidential.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, suffolk county, commack, accident, officer killed, long island news
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 33 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son