Long Island News
Suffolk County police officer killed in crash
COMMACK (WABC) -- An early morning accident killed an off-duty Suffolk County police officer in Commack on Friday.
The truck was backing out of a business onto Route 25 at 3:33 a.m.
Curley, 40, of Huntington, was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver of the garbage truck, James Jarosch, 59, was not injured.
Curley, a Second Precinct police officer, was a member of the department for 17 years.
The SUV was impounded for a safety check and the garbage truck was inspected by Motor Carrier at the scene. Jarosch was issued summonses for unsafe backing and equipment violation.
The investigation is continuing. Anyone with information on the crash is asked to contact Fourth Squad detectives at 631-854-8452 or call anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS. All calls will remain confidential.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, suffolk county, commack, accident, officer killed, long island news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week 46 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet 59 min ago
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx 33 min ago
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Vietnam says cannot find object from...
59 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
46 min ago