Long Island News
Suffolk County police officer killed in crash
COMMACK (WABC) -- An early morning accident killed an off-duty Suffolk County police officer in Commack on Friday.
The truck was backing out of a business onto Route 25 at 3:33 a.m.
Curley, 40, of Huntington, was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver of the garbage truck, James Jarosch, 59, was not injured.
Curley, a Second Precinct police officer, was a member of the department for 17 years.
The SUV was impounded for a safety check and the garbage truck was inspected by Motor Carrier at the scene. Jarosch was issued summonses for unsafe backing and equipment violation.
The investigation is continuing. Anyone with information on the crash is asked to contact Fourth Squad detectives at 631-854-8452 or call anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS. All calls will remain confidential.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, suffolk county, commack, accident, officer killed, long island news
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix 50 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow heads into NYC after hitting southern, central NJ 1 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide 33 min ago
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia
- Giants playoff hopes eliminated after Chargers loss 10 min ago
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Broncos' Matt Prater sets NFL record with 64-yard FG
- South Africans pray for Mandela in day of mourning
- Motorists line up at gas stations, prepare...
33 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
50 min ago
- NYC Agencies preparing for first snowfall...
45 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos