Long Island News
Suffolk County police officer killed in crash
COMMACK (WABC) -- An early morning accident killed an off-duty Suffolk County police officer in Commack on Friday.
The truck was backing out of a business onto Route 25 at 3:33 a.m.
Curley, 40, of Huntington, was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver of the garbage truck, James Jarosch, 59, was not injured.
Curley, a Second Precinct police officer, was a member of the department for 17 years.
The SUV was impounded for a safety check and the garbage truck was inspected by Motor Carrier at the scene. Jarosch was issued summonses for unsafe backing and equipment violation.
The investigation is continuing. Anyone with information on the crash is asked to contact Fourth Squad detectives at 631-854-8452 or call anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS. All calls will remain confidential.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, suffolk county, commack, accident, officer killed, long island news
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel 20 min ago
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Off-duty NYPD officer stabbed in neck in Brooklyn
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Cops suspended, they say for serving in military
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos