Long Island News
Suffolk County police officer killed in crash
COMMACK (WABC) -- An early morning accident killed an off-duty Suffolk County police officer in Commack on Friday.
The truck was backing out of a business onto Route 25 at 3:33 a.m.
Curley, 40, of Huntington, was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver of the garbage truck, James Jarosch, 59, was not injured.
Curley, a Second Precinct police officer, was a member of the department for 17 years.
The SUV was impounded for a safety check and the garbage truck was inspected by Motor Carrier at the scene. Jarosch was issued summonses for unsafe backing and equipment violation.
The investigation is continuing. Anyone with information on the crash is asked to contact Fourth Squad detectives at 631-854-8452 or call anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS. All calls will remain confidential.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, suffolk county, commack, accident, officer killed, long island news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- NJ police investigating deadly skydiving accident
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation