Long Island News
Toy gun sparks school lockdown on Long Island
ELMONT (WABC) -- Reports of a suspicious person with a lime grenn gun on school grounds prompted a lockdown at Elmont Memorial High School, but police say the gun was a toy.
Authorities said they recelved a 911 call around 7:30 a.m. about a teen with a back pack possibly carrying a lime green gun. Elmont Memorial High School went into lockdown for several hours.
Officers, including a SWAT team, searched three floors, room by room, before determining the school was safe. The lockdown was lifted shortly before 1 p.m.
But parents concerned over last month's mass shooting at a Connecticut elementary school that left 20 first-graders and six educators dead raced to the scene to be reunited with their children. A line of about 50 or more parents formed outside the school.
"This is really scary," said Norman Spencer, who arrived at the school on the New York City border to pick up his son Darien. "We've seen numerous reports regarding issues like this, but when it happens here, it touches home."
Darien Spencer said an announcement came over the public address system that the school was in lockdown, and students remained calm throughout the incident.
"At no time were any of your children in danger," Principal John Capozzi told the parents. "All your children are safe."
After an extensive search of the entire building, police found a toy lime green and yellow lever action Nerf gun in a student locker that fit the description of the original call. There were no arrests. The lockdown was lifted and all students and staff members are safe and secure.
The toy gun was confiscated by school officials and will be returned to the parents.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, elmont, school lockdown, long island news
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody 37 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Suspect arrested in Kansas City highway shootings
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure 46 min ago
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Woman charged Thursday with neglect after living in a van with...
- ObamaCare signups surpass 8 million mark 44 min ago
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet 18 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos