Long Island News
Toy gun sparks school lockdown on Long Island
ELMONT (WABC) -- Reports of a suspicious person with a lime grenn gun on school grounds prompted a lockdown at Elmont Memorial High School, but police say the gun was a toy.
Authorities said they recelved a 911 call around 7:30 a.m. about a teen with a back pack possibly carrying a lime green gun. Elmont Memorial High School went into lockdown for several hours.
Officers, including a SWAT team, searched three floors, room by room, before determining the school was safe. The lockdown was lifted shortly before 1 p.m.
But parents concerned over last month's mass shooting at a Connecticut elementary school that left 20 first-graders and six educators dead raced to the scene to be reunited with their children. A line of about 50 or more parents formed outside the school.
"This is really scary," said Norman Spencer, who arrived at the school on the New York City border to pick up his son Darien. "We've seen numerous reports regarding issues like this, but when it happens here, it touches home."
Darien Spencer said an announcement came over the public address system that the school was in lockdown, and students remained calm throughout the incident.
"At no time were any of your children in danger," Principal John Capozzi told the parents. "All your children are safe."
After an extensive search of the entire building, police found a toy lime green and yellow lever action Nerf gun in a student locker that fit the description of the original call. There were no arrests. The lockdown was lifted and all students and staff members are safe and secure.
The toy gun was confiscated by school officials and will be returned to the parents.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, elmont, school lockdown, long island news
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos