Long Island News
1 dead when car slams into garbage truck
ST. JAMES (WABC) -- One person was killed when a car slammed into a garbage truck on Long Island overnight Wednesday.
The crash happened around 2 a.m. on Route 25 and Huber Place in St. James.
Police say the driver of the car, identified as 25-year-old Jamie Rodriguez, of Hauppauge, died instantly. His Jeep Grand Cherokee was travelling eastbound when he apparently crossed into the westbound lanes and hit the Mack truck.
The truck driver, 50-year-old James Mundy, was was transported to Stony Brook University Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
The investigation into the cause of the crash is ongoing. Detectives are asking anyone with information about this crash to call the Fourth Squad at 631-854-8444.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, accident, long island news
- London theatre roof collapses; Dozens injured 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 59 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Sales: Last minute holiday gifts
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon? 40 min ago
- 4 juveniles charges in possible knockout attacks
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response 37 min ago
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Teen shot by police in Brownsville
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken 54 min ago
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
59 min ago
- New report: Disturbing news about raw chicken
27 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos