Long Island News
Prosecutors say man killed 4-year old boy in his care
AMITYVILLE, N.Y. -- A judge ordered a Long Island man held without bail Saturday after prosecutors said he confessed to killing a 4-year-old boy in his care by punching him twice in the stomach when the tot wouldn't take a nap.
Jonathan Thompson, 31, was charged with second-degree murder in the death of the youngster, Adonis Reed, who was found unconscious on a couch in an Amityville apartment on Wednesday afternoon.
At Thompson's arraignment in Central Islip, prosecutors said he struck the boy hard enough to lacerate his liver. They said he had been babysitting for the child for his primary caregiver, a godmother, and told investigators he became angry when the boy wouldn't go to sleep.
Dozens of relatives of the slain boy attended Saturday's court session. Some screamed and swore in the hallways after the proceeding, calling Thompson a "baby killer."
An aunt of the boy, Lashon Reed, called the child "a God-given gift."
"He was wonderful. He was the love of our lives and he never hurt anybody. I just don't know what to say," she said.
Thompson's lawyer, Joseph Hanshe, asked a judge to issue a protective order because his client had been threatened after his arrest, but that request was turned down.
The boy's sister was in the custody of county child welfare officials, police said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, amityville, child death, long island news
- Newtown 911 calls released
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week 20 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze' 4 min ago
- Derailment survivor remembers sister who died 5 min ago
- Mayor-elect de Blasio names deputy mayor
- Moriches boat crash injures 3 fishermen
- Search for missing teenager in Linden, New Jersey
- Woman's body discovered in Rochelle Park
- 5-year old girl from East Harlem found
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Bad Dog: Sunny knocks over child at holiday party
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
4 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week
20 min ago