Long Island News
Ex-football star Gwaltney among 5 charged in burglary
HUNTINGTON -- A former Long Island high school football star is accused with four other men of burglarizing a home at gunpoint.
Jason Gwaltney and the others were charged with burglary and criminal possession of a weapon.
Police say they broke into a Huntington house through an unlocked door early Tuesday.
Police didn't specify Gwaltney's alleged role. They said three of the suspects were armed and demanded cash from the five residents while two other suspects waited in a getaway car.
Gwaltney, of Brentwood, played football for North Babylon High School. He was Suffolk County's only two-time Hansen Award winner and a three-time All-Long Island selection.
He chose West Virginia University on a football scholarship in 2005, turning down some of the top football schools in the nation.
A knee injury and academic issues caused him to leave school.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island news
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims 5 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- NJ man dies in Long Island Sound canoe accident
- March Madness-style bracket rates high school girls
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown 1 min ago
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after...
1 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos