Long Island News
Ex-football star Gwaltney among 5 charged in burglary
HUNTINGTON -- A former Long Island high school football star is accused with four other men of burglarizing a home at gunpoint.
Jason Gwaltney and the others were charged with burglary and criminal possession of a weapon.
Police say they broke into a Huntington house through an unlocked door early Tuesday.
Police didn't specify Gwaltney's alleged role. They said three of the suspects were armed and demanded cash from the five residents while two other suspects waited in a getaway car.
Gwaltney, of Brentwood, played football for North Babylon High School. He was Suffolk County's only two-time Hansen Award winner and a three-time All-Long Island selection.
He chose West Virginia University on a football scholarship in 2005, turning down some of the top football schools in the nation.
A knee injury and academic issues caused him to leave school.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island news
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall