Long Island News
Ex-football star Gwaltney among 5 charged in burglary
HUNTINGTON -- A former Long Island high school football star is accused with four other men of burglarizing a home at gunpoint.
Jason Gwaltney and the others were charged with burglary and criminal possession of a weapon.
Police say they broke into a Huntington house through an unlocked door early Tuesday.
Police didn't specify Gwaltney's alleged role. They said three of the suspects were armed and demanded cash from the five residents while two other suspects waited in a getaway car.
Gwaltney, of Brentwood, played football for North Babylon High School. He was Suffolk County's only two-time Hansen Award winner and a three-time All-Long Island selection.
He chose West Virginia University on a football scholarship in 2005, turning down some of the top football schools in the nation.
A knee injury and academic issues caused him to leave school.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island news
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 30 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland 4 min ago
- Employees tied up, Car parts stolen in Elizabeth
- Suspect identified in attempted baby abduction 1 min ago
- Ferry captain arrested in South Korea after deadly accident 34 min ago
- Party shooting leaves Kean U. student injured
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire 47 min ago
- Search for suspects in Riverhead robbery and assault
- Robbery suspect in custody after Astoria manhunt 1 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche 36 min ago
- Yonkers family outraged after dog mauled by pit bull
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
7 min ago
- Suspect identified in attempted baby...
1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
30 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
36 min ago