Long Island News
Cement trucker charged in bus driver's death
LOCUST VALLEY -- A cement truck driver has been charged with manslaughter and assault six months after he struck an overpass and then a school bus on Long Island, killing the driver.
Police said Wednesday that 44-year-old Mineola resident Raymond Ragen faces a litany of charges, including reckless driving and aggravated vehicular assault, after the July crash in Locust Valley.
The crash killed 45-year-old bus driver Jorge Guevara and injured four children and a bus attendant.
Police say Ragen's truck smashed into a railroad underpass because it was too tall to fit underneath, then hit the oncoming bus.
In a news release Wednesday, police say Ragen also faces a charge he was using a cellphone while driving.
He will be arraigned later Wednesday at First District Court in Hempstead.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, manslaughter, bus, bus accident, long island news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Granderson hits sac fly to lift Mets over Braves in 14
- Anna, Beltran key Yankees' 5-1, 12-inning win