Long Island News
Cement trucker charged in bus driver's death
LOCUST VALLEY -- A cement truck driver has been charged with manslaughter and assault six months after he struck an overpass and then a school bus on Long Island, killing the driver.
Police said Wednesday that 44-year-old Mineola resident Raymond Ragen faces a litany of charges, including reckless driving and aggravated vehicular assault, after the July crash in Locust Valley.
The crash killed 45-year-old bus driver Jorge Guevara and injured four children and a bus attendant.
Police say Ragen's truck smashed into a railroad underpass because it was too tall to fit underneath, then hit the oncoming bus.
In a news release Wednesday, police say Ragen also faces a charge he was using a cellphone while driving.
He will be arraigned later Wednesday at First District Court in Hempstead.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, manslaughter, bus, bus accident, long island news
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth 38 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision 32 min ago
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes 22 min ago
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
38 min ago