Long Island News
Broken rails cause headaches for LIRR riders
MINEOLA (WABC) -- The extreme cold created an unusual and potentially dangerous problem for the Long Island Rail Road.
Service was suspended on the Ronkonkoma Branch in both directions between Farmingdale and Ronkonkoma because of a broken rail east of Brentwood. Trains were running again by 11 a.m. on Friday, but not before buses had to carry commuters throughout the morning.
The freezing temperatures have caused at least seven other tracks to break this week.
A broken rail east of Mineola delayed Thursday night's commute.
Passengers had to wait as crews rushed to replace the rail.
The LIRR says a delay is better than a derailment.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island railroad, long island news
- At least 2 dead, 64 hurt in East Harlem explosion 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 5 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 49 min ago
- Metro-North service restored after East Harlem explosion 12 min ago
- Survivors and witnesses describe East Harlem explosion 8 min ago
- Video: Emergency personnel investigating East...
- Video: Building explosion rattles East Harlem
- Video: De Blasio: Gas leak complaint came in 15...
- Video: Residents near East Harlem explosion...
- Video: Woman hears East Harlem Explosion, thought...
- raw video: Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape 32 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
5 min ago
- Missing Malaysian plane's last...
17 min ago