Long Island News
Broken rails cause headaches for LIRR riders
MINEOLA (WABC) -- The extreme cold created an unusual and potentially dangerous problem for the Long Island Rail Road.
Service was suspended on the Ronkonkoma Branch in both directions between Farmingdale and Ronkonkoma because of a broken rail east of Brentwood. Trains were running again by 11 a.m. on Friday, but not before buses had to carry commuters throughout the morning.
The freezing temperatures have caused at least seven other tracks to break this week.
A broken rail east of Mineola delayed Thursday night's commute.
Passengers had to wait as crews rushed to replace the rail.
The LIRR says a delay is better than a derailment.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island railroad, long island news
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea 39 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire 42 min ago
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn 36 min ago
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction 29 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park