Long Island News
Broken rails cause headaches for LIRR riders
MINEOLA (WABC) -- The extreme cold created an unusual and potentially dangerous problem for the Long Island Rail Road.
Service was suspended on the Ronkonkoma Branch in both directions between Farmingdale and Ronkonkoma because of a broken rail east of Brentwood. Trains were running again by 11 a.m. on Friday, but not before buses had to carry commuters throughout the morning.
The freezing temperatures have caused at least seven other tracks to break this week.
A broken rail east of Mineola delayed Thursday night's commute.
Passengers had to wait as crews rushed to replace the rail.
The LIRR says a delay is better than a derailment.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island railroad, long island news
- 4 people shot in Brooklyn 9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Surveillance from East Harlem buildings near explosion
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- ESPN: Phil Jackson signs with Knicks
- Photos: Several vehicles on fire in New Jersey
- Sketch released of suspect wanted in luring
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel