Long Island News
2 men believed to be behind burglary spree arrested
PATCHOGUE (WABC) -- Two Long Island men are under arrest and facing attempted burglary charges after they allegedly tried to break into a home in East Patchogue Thursday.
Police believe Philip Mazzola and Richard Crane are also responsible for at least three burglaries in the area over the last month.
Officers responded to the Corbin Avenue home after callers reported that a suspicious man had gone into a neighbor's backyard at approximately 1 p.m.
A short time later, officers came accross a Nissan Altima that matched the description of a car that was seen on the street around the time of the 911 calls.
Mazzola was arrested in the car, while Crane was on foot and walking around the neighborhood approximately one block away from the crime scene.
Crane, of Bellport, and the Mazzola, of Patchogue, both 21, are charged with three counts of second-degree burglary and two counts of second-degree attempted burglary.
The investigation is continuing. Police believe the two men, who were knocking on neighborhood doors looking for unoccupied homes, might be responsible for other burglaries in the area that occurred during the past four weeks. Anyone with information is asked to call anonymously to Crimes Stopper at 1-800-220-TIPS. All calls will be kept confidential.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, patchogue, burglary, long island news
- London theatre roof collapses; Dozens injured 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Sales: Last minute holiday gifts
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- NYC 's smoking ban to include e-cigarettes 37 min ago
- 4 juveniles charges in possible knockout attacks
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos