Long Island News
2 dead, 3 injured in Southern State Parkway accident
NORTH MERRICK (WABC) -- Tania Boutin says her 30-year-old brother Kervens kept calling her. She has all of the missed calls because she was trying to fall asleep. These are calls Boutin now wishes she had answered.
Police say Kervens was recklessly driving his black Nissan Maxima, when it careened off the Southern State Parkway and violently crashed into a tree.
She spoke with me outside of the hospital where her brother is in critical condition.
"Both of his legs have already been amputated, it's very hard to talk about it," said Tania.
Hard because four others were riding in the same car.
19-year-old Marlo Cabrera was also at the hospital with grave wounds, 22-year-old Antonio Rivas is at another hospital.
20-year-old Bryan Rivas and 22-year-old Bloosom Castro did not walk away, they were killed in the early morning crash,
"I heard the guy slide, not squeaking tires but like a tumble like a sound like a tumble," said eyewitness Jason Todeschini.
Todeschini ran outside and saw bodies scattered in these woods, 3 men had been thrown from the car, which was split in two when the roof hit this tree.
Todeschini has witnessed other fatal accidents in this exact same spot.
In 2008, a 27-year-old riding in a motorcycle was killed. Todeschini worries if something isn't done, someone else will die.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, southern state parkway, accident, long island news, kemberly richardson
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos