Long Island News
Woman accused of running pit bull fighting ring
NEW CASSEL -- Police on Long Island have arrested a 38-year-old woman in New Cassel on dog fighting charges.
Police say officers were responding to a noise complaint at the woman's house at 721 Broadway Friday night when they saw 15 to 20 people running from the garage.
Inside the garage, police say officers found a dog fighting ring containing two bloodied pit bulls.
The officers confronted the homeowner inside the house, Monica Christopher, and found numerous crates containing pit bulls - many with wounds - two treadmills, penicillin, steroids and syringes.
Police say 18 pit bulls were removed from the home and taken to the North Hempstead Shelter for evaluation.
Police say Christopher was arraigned Sunday on charges of prohibition animal fighting. Information on her lawyer was not immediately available.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, new cassel, dog, long island news
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens 46 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Rescuers continue scouring rubble in East Harlem 14 min ago
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel
- Jersey City fire victims to be laid to rest Friday
- Plane's nose gear collapses at Philadelphia airport
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Man in 'Modern Family' star groping appears in court
- $353 million up for grabs in Mega Millions drawing Friday