Long Island News
Woman accused of running pit bull fighting ring
NEW CASSEL -- Police on Long Island have arrested a 38-year-old woman in New Cassel on dog fighting charges.
Police say officers were responding to a noise complaint at the woman's house at 721 Broadway Friday night when they saw 15 to 20 people running from the garage.
Inside the garage, police say officers found a dog fighting ring containing two bloodied pit bulls.
The officers confronted the homeowner inside the house, Monica Christopher, and found numerous crates containing pit bulls - many with wounds - two treadmills, penicillin, steroids and syringes.
Police say 18 pit bulls were removed from the home and taken to the North Hempstead Shelter for evaluation.
Police say Christopher was arraigned Sunday on charges of prohibition animal fighting. Information on her lawyer was not immediately available.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, new cassel, dog, long island news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week 43 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet 56 min ago
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx 30 min ago
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Vietnam says cannot find object from...
56 min ago
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
43 min ago