Long Island News
Man with a gun sparked lockdown at East Patchogue school
EAST PATCHOGUE (WABC) -- An sighting of a man walking with a rifle prompted the lockdown of an East Patchogue school.
Police received several calls about a man with a rifle on near Verne Critz Elementary School on North Dunton Avenue.
The person was spotted walking past the school. The witnesses did not believe the person was walking to the school .
School officials locked down the elementary school out of an abundance of caution.
The road to the school was also closed as police investigated.
The man cooperated with police, and it was determined he had no apparent intention to harm anyone.
The man was arrested on an unrelated charge.
Police are still determining whether or not the gun was working.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, east patchogue, school lockdown, long island news
- Queens third grader fatally struck by truck 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Woman dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire 8 min ago
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Mink coat thieves caught on camera at NYC boutique
- LI nativity theft being investagated as hate crime
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated
- Friday marks Walcott's last day while schools in session
- India demands apology for diplomat arrest in Manhattan 3 min ago
- MTA launches new apps for LIRR, Metro-North riders
- 9-year-old bowler in Florida tosses perfect 300 53 min ago