Long Island News
Drugs, weapons cache found in man's bedroom
FRANKLIN SQUARE, N.Y. (WABC) -- A big bust on Long Island has landed two men behind bars.
$50,000 worth of steroids imported from Mexico, 3,200 bags of heroin, and six assault rifles with high capacity magazines were all recovered by police.
Police say that's not all that they found inside the bedroom of 26-year-old Gabriel DiPierno.
They also found materials to make explosives.
"He had home-making material that if set correctly and detonated would have blown off the top of that house," said Det. Sgt. Patrick Ryder, Nassau County Police Department.
Police seized everything from DiPierno's parents' house in Franklin Square Tuesday night.
DiPierno is engaged but lives there.
Police believe his parents had no idea what was going on.
"Everything that you see on the table was recovered from his bedroom, nowhere else in the house," Det. Sgt. Ryder said.
Eyewitness News spoke with DiPierno's parents at his arraignment Wednesday afternoon.
His mother said her son has problems and she's been trying to get him help.
"We're good parents. Things happen, things happen," she said.
Police believe that DiPierno had every intention of selling the drugs and had already been selling them although it's not clear to whom.
"Everything that you see on this table, from the firearms to the drugs, will be tracked as far as we can track back so we can find out who was the provider of these items," Det. Sgt. Ryder said.
DiPierno pled not guilty to all of the charges.
The judge ordered that he be held without bail.
28-year-old Kenneth J. Butler was also arrested for buying heroin. He's been charged with Criminal Possession of a Control Substance.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, drug, gun, long island news, kristin thorne
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97