Long Island News
Two accused of stealing heating oil from Long Island homes
MASTIC, N.Y. (WABC) -- Two people are under arrest on charges of stealing home heating oil from homes on Long Island. .
Suffolk County Police say 46-year old Frank Dawson and 44-year old Towania McCrae stole the oil from storage tanks on the property of eight vacant homes in the Mastic area.
On Saturday night, officers say they observed the two pumping heating oil from the underground tank of an unoccupied home on Hampton Ave. in Mastic and transferring the oil to three storage tanks that they were carrying in the rear of Dawson's pickup truck.
After the officers placed both suspects under arrest, police say Dawson took the officers to seven other locations in Mastic where he had previously stolen home heating oil.
The two are charged with Petit Larceny and Possession of Burglar's Tools.
Dawson is also charged with Criminal Trespass 3rd Degree.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, mastic, theft, long island news
- De Blasio, Bratton join Sharpton at Mandela tribute 12 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead 16 min ago
- Man found fatally stabbed in Williamsburg
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- Funeral held for NYPD traffic agent hit by truck
- Bethpage boaters missing in waters off Cape May
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Wintry blast moves through much of country, heads East
- US vet, 85, back home after detained in North Korea 31 min ago
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing anniversary
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead
16 min ago