Long Island News
Boy killed, 13 injured in Hempstead fire
HEMPSTEAD (WABC) -- An 8-year old boy was killed and 13 people were injured in a five alarm fire early Saturday on Long Island.
The fire started around 7:00 Saturday morning at a three story apartment building on St. Pauls Road North in Hempstead.
It then spread to several nearby buildings.
Thirteen fire departments responded to help battle the flames.
Some residents jumped from the third floor of the building, about 30 feet, to escape the flames.
Authorities said more than a foot of snow on the ground probably saved their lives by breaking the fall.
About 150 people were evacuated. Half of them have been placed in temporary shelters, officials said.
The American Red Cross says it is helping about 70 people who have been displaced by the fire.
It could be weeks before those displaced are allowed back in their homes.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, hempstead, fire, fire rescue, long island news
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday 4 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Baby it's cold outside!
- Charges expected in fraternity death 14 min ago
- Mega Millions hits $400M for Friday drawing 33 min ago
- 2,500 Fordham University applicants misled by email
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Charges expected in fraternity death
14 min ago
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
4 min ago