Long Island News
Boy killed, 13 injured in Hempstead fire
HEMPSTEAD (WABC) -- An 8-year old boy was killed and 13 people were injured in a five alarm fire early Saturday on Long Island.
The fire started around 7:00 Saturday morning at a three story apartment building on St. Pauls Road North in Hempstead.
It then spread to several nearby buildings.
Thirteen fire departments responded to help battle the flames.
Some residents jumped from the third floor of the building, about 30 feet, to escape the flames.
Authorities said more than a foot of snow on the ground probably saved their lives by breaking the fall.
About 150 people were evacuated. Half of them have been placed in temporary shelters, officials said.
The American Red Cross says it is helping about 70 people who have been displaced by the fire.
It could be weeks before those displaced are allowed back in their homes.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, hempstead, fire, fire rescue, long island news
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments