Long Island News
Boy killed, 13 injured in Hempstead fire
HEMPSTEAD (WABC) -- An 8-year old boy was killed and 13 people were injured in a five alarm fire early Saturday on Long Island.
The fire started around 7:00 Saturday morning at a three story apartment building on St. Pauls Road North in Hempstead.
It then spread to several nearby buildings.
Thirteen fire departments responded to help battle the flames.
Some residents jumped from the third floor of the building, about 30 feet, to escape the flames.
Authorities said more than a foot of snow on the ground probably saved their lives by breaking the fall.
About 150 people were evacuated. Half of them have been placed in temporary shelters, officials said.
The American Red Cross says it is helping about 70 people who have been displaced by the fire.
It could be weeks before those displaced are allowed back in their homes.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, hempstead, fire, fire rescue, long island news
- Snow moves out, bitter cold moves in 17 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- New Jersey getting hit with another dose of snow
- Snow falling on Long Island
- Snow coming down in New York City
- Off-duty officer killed in Queens after crashing into storefront
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela at memorial
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Raul Castro
- Justin Bieber visits Philippine typhoon victims 54 min ago
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers
- Snow moves out, bitter cold moves in
17 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos