Long Island News
Boy killed, 13 injured in Hempstead fire
HEMPSTEAD (WABC) -- An 8-year old boy was killed and 13 people were injured in a five alarm fire early Saturday on Long Island.
The fire started around 7:00 Saturday morning at a three story apartment building on St. Pauls Road North in Hempstead.
It then spread to several nearby buildings.
Thirteen fire departments responded to help battle the flames.
Some residents jumped from the third floor of the building, about 30 feet, to escape the flames.
Authorities said more than a foot of snow on the ground probably saved their lives by breaking the fall.
About 150 people were evacuated. Half of them have been placed in temporary shelters, officials said.
The American Red Cross says it is helping about 70 people who have been displaced by the fire.
It could be weeks before those displaced are allowed back in their homes.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, hempstead, fire, fire rescue, long island news
- Survivors search nearly done after Oklahoma tornado
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Two more possible bias attacks investigated in New York City
- Accident involving fire truck at accident-prone corner
- Suspected robbery ends with car chase
- Connecticut rail service to return to normal Wednesday
- The return of the Green Card Scammer
- Rangers lose 2-1 to Bruins, now 0-3 in series
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help, Get Help
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos