Long Island News
Second person dies in Hempstead fire that killed boy
HEMPSTEAD (WABC) -- A second person has died in an apartment complex fire in Hempstead that also claimed the life of an 8-year-old boy.
Police say Guadalupe Ramirez, who lived in the same apartment as the boy, died at the hospital Sunday.
Investigators say snow drifts happening at the time of the fire helped them extinguish the flames.
The fire spread to several buildings and forced 250 people from their homes. Eleven people were sent to hospitals..
Detectives are trying to determine what caused the fire. They don't believe it was set deliberately. It started in a third-floor apartment on Paul Road North around 6:20 a.m.
Some 300 firefighters were called in from 13 departments. It took several hours to extinguish the fire.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, hempstead, fire, fire rescue, long island news
- Malaysia Airlines says plane went missing 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD 57 min ago
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos