Long Island News
Second person dies in Hempstead fire that killed boy
HEMPSTEAD (WABC) -- A second person has died in an apartment complex fire in Hempstead that also claimed the life of an 8-year-old boy.
Police say Guadalupe Ramirez, who lived in the same apartment as the boy, died at the hospital Sunday.
Investigators say snow drifts happening at the time of the fire helped them extinguish the flames.
The fire spread to several buildings and forced 250 people from their homes. Eleven people were sent to hospitals..
Detectives are trying to determine what caused the fire. They don't believe it was set deliberately. It started in a third-floor apartment on Paul Road North around 6:20 a.m.
Some 300 firefighters were called in from 13 departments. It took several hours to extinguish the fire.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, hempstead, fire, fire rescue, long island news
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport
- Vito Lopez says he will resign effective Monday
- Official: Broken rail eyed in Metro North crash
- Police say fatal Greenwich Village shooting a hate crime
- Winning numbers drawn in Powerball jackpot
- Oxbow wins the Preakness Stakes
- Pacers knock out Knicks with win in Game 6
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos