Long Island News
Documentary about Islip salon nominated for Oscar
ISLIP, N.Y. (WABC) -- Once a month, a Long Island salon opens its doors to cancer patients and survivors to get free treatments.
That act of kindness goes a long way.
In fact, the salon is the subject of a documentary that's now an Oscar contender.
News spread fast that film, "Mondays at Racine", a documentary based on their salon and spa in Islip, had just been nominated for an Oscar.
"I think every time we care for a patient we care for our mother again and that's our motivation," said Rachel DeMolfetto, of Racine Salon & Spa.
Their mother died of cancer.
The film, made by Academy Award winning director Cynthia Wade, centers around the salon.
Once a month, they provide support to those with cancer, at no cost, a little pampering.
For two years, cameras followed the lives of the women and their families, people like Linda Hart.
She has breast cancer, and was once told she had less than five years to live.
That was in 1994.
She tells Eyewitness News she didn't hesitate when asked to be in the documentary.
"I jumped at the chance, anything to give back to the women who are going through I just don't want them to go through what I've gone through, I want them to have the hope and feeling that they will be ok," said Linda Hart, a cancer patient
They were also in the film along with their significant others; Warren is Linda's husband.
The 39 minute film makes a point to also focus on the men in these women's lives and their struggles and fears.
The work will soon have a much bigger audience.
"At the end of the day, when the film finally airs on HBO and if there's a woman in bed with the covers over her head and she can't cope with her diagnosis, this just may allow her to seek out a place like ours," DeMolfetto said.
Or seek out other spas.
The women hope more get involved.
"Perhaps at that time, a woman will say ok, I can deal with this I can do it, I have some help, I know where to go," said Cynthia Sansone, of Racine Salon & Spa.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, islip, cancer, long island news, kemberly richardson
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard 59 min ago
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying...
59 min ago