Long Island News
Fire forces evacuation of Long Island motel
HAUPPAGUE (WABC) -- A Long Island motel was evacuated Friday night after fire broke out in one of the rooms.
The incident happened at the Olympic Motor Lodge on Vanderbilt Parkway in Hauppauge just after 8 p.m.
Guests in 17 rooms rushed out quickly as firefighters worked to extinguish the flames.
No injuries were reported.
A motel guest admitted the fire began because he was smoking in bed, and the mattress caught fire.
The fire spread to adjoining rooms, and the motel suffered fire and water damage.
The Red Cross has relocated the motel's guests.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, hauppauge, fire, superstorm sandy, long island news
- 51 people confirmed dead in Okla. tornado 1 min ago
- Where is Charles Butler?
- Elderly man falls in Hudson off of Pier 84
- Investigation follows police shooting of student
- Metro North New Haven Line to be back Wednesday
- Worker injured after forklift swallowed by sinkhole
- Person of interest ID'd in deadly Queens bus shooting
- blog: Desiree Hartsock on being 'The Bachelorette'
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- Photos: Photos from the Billboard Awards
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos