Long Island News
Fire forces evacuation of Long Island motel
HAUPPAGUE (WABC) -- A Long Island motel was evacuated Friday night after fire broke out in one of the rooms.
The incident happened at the Olympic Motor Lodge on Vanderbilt Parkway in Hauppauge just after 8 p.m.
Guests in 17 rooms rushed out quickly as firefighters worked to extinguish the flames.
No injuries were reported.
A motel guest admitted the fire began because he was smoking in bed, and the mattress caught fire.
The fire spread to adjoining rooms, and the motel suffered fire and water damage.
The Red Cross has relocated the motel's guests.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, hauppauge, fire, superstorm sandy, long island news
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday 25 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Charges expected in fraternity death 9 min ago
- Search for hit and run driver in fatal crash
- LIRR, NJT ban booze ahead of Santacon
- Mayor-elect de Blasio to visit White House
- Nassau County police commissioner ousted
- Budget vote approved in the House
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- Sandy victims turn year of loss into season of giving
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees
- Charges expected in fraternity death
9 min ago
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
25 min ago