Long Island News
Businesses worry about shortened winter breaks
BALDWIN (WABC) -- So many local businesses like Baldwin Bowl rely on mid-winter recess for a boost in revenue. However, now that Long Island school districts are canceling the vacation, it hurts their bottom line.
Baldwin Bowl is a hot spot on Saturday night, and that is good for business. It is the upcoming week that makes manager Mike D'Ambrosio nervous.
"That week is really important because it does generate revenue for that 7 day period," D'Ambrosio adds.
The mid-winter recess vacation is one of the most profitable weeks for bowling alleys. Baldwin Bowl, like many other local businesses will be losing out on thousands of dollars because many Long Island school districts are calling students back to the classroom. It is all because Superstorm Sandy and the recent blizzard forced districts to cancel school, and now they need to make up for lost days.
Businesses who rely on kids looking for something fun to do on their break will be losing out.
"They need more school days for the regents, and we need more prep days," said Freeport High School student Samantha Rodriguez.
Rodriguez will be going back to school, which means she won't get to bowl, go to the mall, or see a movie with a friend.
Mike D'Ambrosio is crossing his fingers that businesses won't take as big a hit as expected.
"We do rely on the week of winter recess to capitalize on people being home," says D'Ambrosio.
Baldwin Bowl could be losing as much as $20,000 next week.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, baldwin, blizzard, superstorm sandy, long island news
- Jersey City water main break affecting service
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 1 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 6 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 1 min ago
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 43 min ago
- Bloomberg delivers last major speech at Mayor
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions...
1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
1 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos