Long Island News
2 possible luring attempts on Long Island
DEER PARK, N.Y. (WABC) -- Police on Long Island are investigating two possible attempted child lurings.
In both cases, female students from Robert Frost Middle School in Deer Park were followed by suspicious vehicles.
On Thursday morning, Valentine's Day, police say a girl walking to school spotted a black BMW with one person inside driving just behind her. The vehicle then stopped in front of her at the intersection of Washington Avenue and Hickory Street, spooking her enough that she ran home. The driver of the car drove away.
On Friday, a similar incident occurred at the corner of Headline Road and Sunburst Drive. In that incident, a black sedan was driving slowly on the wrong side of the street behind a second girl. That car, with two white men inside, sped away.
Police note that there was no contact between the suspects and the students in either case, and neither girl was hurt.
Still, it's enough of a coincidence that authorities want the public to be aware.
Officials advise that students be extra aware of their surroundings, just in case these incidents are connected or are sinister in nature.
Cops are increasing patrols, both marked and unmarked, and using license plate readers, working with school district and following up on information from the two reports.
Police stress, however, that there's been no specific wrongdoing alleged so far.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, attempted abduction, deer park, long island news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Retired NYPD officer faces charges for allegedly killing wife
- NJ police investigating deadly skydiving accident
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Suspect arrested after body found in container
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield
- Preparations underway for Boston Marathon
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation