Long Island News
1 dead in overnight house fire on Long Island
MASSAPEQUA PARK (WABC) -- A man died trying to escape an overnight fire at home on Long Island Wednesday.
The victim, in his 50s, was trapped on the second floor of the house on Van Buren Street in Massapequa Park just after 1 a.m.
The blaze started in a living room area on the first flood and quickly spread.
Fire was shooting out the second floor windows when firefighters arrived.
Firefighters attempted to rescue the man, but they were forced back by the intense flames.
Authorities say there are indications that the man was awake and attempting to flee, but could not make it out in time.
There does not appear to have been anyone else in the house at the time of the fire.
The fire is possibly electrical in nature, but does not initially appear to be criminal.
The investigation is ongoing.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, massapequa park, fire, deadly fire, long island news
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- U.S. Attorney defends arrest of Indian diplomat
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- Next City Council Speaker likely Melissa Mark-Viverito
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos