Long Island News
Dog appeared not fed for 3 weeks recovering
SAYVILLE, New York (WABC) -- A dog that hadn't eaten in approximately 3 weeks is being cared for after being rescued by an animal rescue league.
When you look at Queenie it gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, just skin and bones.
Police say It appears that Queenie's owner starved her for at least the last three weeks.
The animal rescue group Guardians of Rescue found her Saturday, only a day or two away from death.
The owner's estranged wife called them to the house.
She had discovered Queenie in a locked room.
"She was lifeless she was totally lifeless she had given up hope," said Robert Misseri.
Queenie is now recovering at Grady Animal Hospital in Sayville and is responding well , walking around and enjoying the sun and people's company.
But the vet says her long term prognosis is not good.
"In my 20 years of practice she's the worst I've seen alive and in person and she's now gone into renal failure kidney failure from being starved," said Mark Caporaso.
The Suffolk SPCA is investigating whether charges should be filed against the owner.
"We need to get all our facts and figure out the circumstances that led the dog to be left in this condition," said Paul Liobell, with Suffolk SPCA.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island news, kristin thorne
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins 11 min ago
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident