Long Island News
Dog appeared not fed for 3 weeks recovering
SAYVILLE, New York (WABC) -- A dog that hadn't eaten in approximately 3 weeks is being cared for after being rescued by an animal rescue league.
When you look at Queenie it gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, just skin and bones.
Police say It appears that Queenie's owner starved her for at least the last three weeks.
The animal rescue group Guardians of Rescue found her Saturday, only a day or two away from death.
The owner's estranged wife called them to the house.
She had discovered Queenie in a locked room.
"She was lifeless she was totally lifeless she had given up hope," said Robert Misseri.
Queenie is now recovering at Grady Animal Hospital in Sayville and is responding well , walking around and enjoying the sun and people's company.
But the vet says her long term prognosis is not good.
"In my 20 years of practice she's the worst I've seen alive and in person and she's now gone into renal failure kidney failure from being starved," said Mark Caporaso.
The Suffolk SPCA is investigating whether charges should be filed against the owner.
"We need to get all our facts and figure out the circumstances that led the dog to be left in this condition," said Paul Liobell, with Suffolk SPCA.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island news, kristin thorne
- Bible from East Harlem church found in debris
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for Malaysian jet widens
- Toddler survives after tumbling onto subway tracks
- Sick patrons interrupt Broadway show performance
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Video: Manhattan clinches first NCAA bid in a decade