Long Island News
Dog appeared not fed for 3 weeks recovering
SAYVILLE, New York (WABC) -- A dog that hadn't eaten in approximately 3 weeks is being cared for after being rescued by an animal rescue league.
When you look at Queenie it gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, just skin and bones.
Police say It appears that Queenie's owner starved her for at least the last three weeks.
The animal rescue group Guardians of Rescue found her Saturday, only a day or two away from death.
The owner's estranged wife called them to the house.
She had discovered Queenie in a locked room.
"She was lifeless she was totally lifeless she had given up hope," said Robert Misseri.
Queenie is now recovering at Grady Animal Hospital in Sayville and is responding well , walking around and enjoying the sun and people's company.
But the vet says her long term prognosis is not good.
"In my 20 years of practice she's the worst I've seen alive and in person and she's now gone into renal failure kidney failure from being starved," said Mark Caporaso.
The Suffolk SPCA is investigating whether charges should be filed against the owner.
"We need to get all our facts and figure out the circumstances that led the dog to be left in this condition," said Paul Liobell, with Suffolk SPCA.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island news, kristin thorne
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera
- Man caught on camera using cloned ATM card 47 min ago
- BridgeGate panel could call Gov. Chris Christie to testify 31 min ago
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87 19 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 19 min ago