Long Island News
Dog appeared not fed for 3 weeks recovering
SAYVILLE, New York (WABC) -- A dog that hadn't eaten in approximately 3 weeks is being cared for after being rescued by an animal rescue league.
When you look at Queenie it gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, just skin and bones.
Police say It appears that Queenie's owner starved her for at least the last three weeks.
The animal rescue group Guardians of Rescue found her Saturday, only a day or two away from death.
The owner's estranged wife called them to the house.
She had discovered Queenie in a locked room.
"She was lifeless she was totally lifeless she had given up hope," said Robert Misseri.
Queenie is now recovering at Grady Animal Hospital in Sayville and is responding well , walking around and enjoying the sun and people's company.
But the vet says her long term prognosis is not good.
"In my 20 years of practice she's the worst I've seen alive and in person and she's now gone into renal failure kidney failure from being starved," said Mark Caporaso.
The Suffolk SPCA is investigating whether charges should be filed against the owner.
"We need to get all our facts and figure out the circumstances that led the dog to be left in this condition," said Paul Liobell, with Suffolk SPCA.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island news, kristin thorne
- Woman dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Bronx fire leaves brothers dead, 3 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Mink coat thieves caught on camera at NYC boutique
- LI nativity theft being investagated as hate crime 18 min ago
- Target data breach leaves customers angry, frustrated
- MTA launches new apps for LIRR, Metro-North riders
- Crown Heights woman critical after hit and run 25 min ago
- New York Army cadet accused of emailing child porn
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident