Long Island News
List of most dangerous roadways for pedestrians
LONG ISLAND (WABC) -- In some places, trying to get across the Hempstead Turnpike is like trying to get across the Daytona Speedway. Close-calls happen just about every day, and timing really is everything.
According to a three-year study by the non-profit Tri-State Transportation Campaign, Hempstead Turnpike is the regions "Most Dangerous Road for Pedestrians."
It's followed by Broadway in Upper Manhattan, Jericho Turnpike through Suffolk County, Sunrise Highway through Nassau, as well as Route 110 in Suffolk.
The rankings are based on the rate of fatal pedestrian accidents. On the Hempstead Turnpike for example, at least five people are struck and killed every year.
The state Transportation Department has added push-buttons and countdown timers. But the fact is, traffic lights are literally few and far between. And, despite the risks, people seem to cross wherever they feel like it.
Among the most dangerous stretches, the DOT has added fences to the median. Bus stops will be moved to the corners.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island news, n.j. burkett
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death 25 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says 32 min ago
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos