Long Island News
List of most dangerous roadways for pedestrians
LONG ISLAND (WABC) -- In some places, trying to get across the Hempstead Turnpike is like trying to get across the Daytona Speedway. Close-calls happen just about every day, and timing really is everything.
According to a three-year study by the non-profit Tri-State Transportation Campaign, Hempstead Turnpike is the regions "Most Dangerous Road for Pedestrians."
It's followed by Broadway in Upper Manhattan, Jericho Turnpike through Suffolk County, Sunrise Highway through Nassau, as well as Route 110 in Suffolk.
The rankings are based on the rate of fatal pedestrian accidents. On the Hempstead Turnpike for example, at least five people are struck and killed every year.
The state Transportation Department has added push-buttons and countdown timers. But the fact is, traffic lights are literally few and far between. And, despite the risks, people seem to cross wherever they feel like it.
Among the most dangerous stretches, the DOT has added fences to the median. Bus stops will be moved to the corners.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island news, n.j. burkett
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster 1 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault 15 min ago
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze 15 min ago
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Hot beauty trends for spring
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
16 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex...
15 min ago
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
1 min ago
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
15 min ago