Long Island News
Car strikes pedestrian in Glen Head, Long Island
GLEN HEAD, New York (WABC) -- At least one pedestrian was struck, and three other people were injured, in a car crash in Glen Head.
The accident happened just before 10 a.m. Friday on Glen Cove Avenue, not long after students at North Shore High School began their classes for the day.
The commotion right outside was hard to miss.
"So the helicopter landed while I was in English class. I'm like, 'Oh my God. What's going on?'" said Gabriella Baretta, a North Shore High School Sophomore.
The 28-year-old driver of a dark Lexus was airlifted to the hospital after triggering the crash.
Witnesses say he was swerving and then hit a pedestrian, who, in fact, is a teacher in the North Shore School system, both the middle school and the high school are only feet away.
"My understanding is, he was working, he was doing his job at the school district. I don't know if he was going from one school to another," said Det. Michael Bitsko, Nassau County Police Department.
The Lexus also smashed into a white Volkswagen.
A couple in their mid-60's was injured in that car.
Detectives immediately tried to figure out whether the 28-year-old was speeding or driving under the influence, but they say charges are being filed.
"Based on some of the witness statements that we do have, it appears that some of the actions he was doing prior to the accident were reckless," Det. Bitsko said.
Parents whose kids drive and walk to school are becoming more aware of a road that has its fair share of problems.
"This road happens to be one of the busiest roads, people driving 60 miles an hour, and it makes me concerned as a parent," said Christina Baretta, a parent.
long island, pedestrian struck, long island news, stacey sager
- Jersey City main breaks; boil water advisory in effect 41 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 10 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Annual 'Pokey,' 'Schleppie' awards for MTA bus service
- Rangel announces run for 23rd term
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC
- Bronx cell phone store robber caught on camera
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013