Long Island News
Police officer accused of punching 3-year old son
HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- A police officer is accused of punching his 3-year-old son in the face at their Long Island home.
Jason Sharp, of Bellmore, was charged with assault, endangering the welfare of a child and criminal mischief.
He was arraigned Sunday and released on his own recognizance.
The judge issued an order of protection, barring Sharp from harassing his wife, his son and a 5-year-old child.
Newsday (http://bit.ly/YlxPtT ) says Sharp is an officer on the Brooklyn police gang unit.
The 3-year-old suffered swelling and bruising to the right eye, cheek and nose. The incident occurred Saturday afternoon.
Authorities say Sharp also punched a hole in the wall of the house while arguing with his wife.
He's due back in court on March 18. Information about his attorney wasn't immediately available.
long island, bellmore, child endangerment, police, long island news
- Snowstorm moves into New York area
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos 33 min ago
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures 33 min ago
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- NJ Transit delays due to problems on Portal Bridge
- Snow coming down in New York City 49 min ago
- New Jersey getting hit with another dose of snow
- Snow falling on Long Island 9 min ago
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela at memorial 7 min ago
- Woman beaten up, robbed on Harlem subway platform
- Port Authority relocating owls that are threat to planes
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service 12 min ago
- Snow coming down in New York City
49 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos