Long Island News
Jewish Center employee charged with stealing artifacts
OCEANSIDE (WABC) -- Police have arrested a man in Nassau County, Long Island they say stole and tried to pawn items from a Jewish center in Oceanside.
Alex Membreno, 30, worked as a super for the Oceanside Jewish Center, located on 2860 Brower Ave. Detectives say Membreno took numerous religious artifacts from the temple, valued over $20,000.
Further investigation revealed that Membreno pawned many of the items for cash at a local pawn shop.
The investigation is ongoing. Membreno is being charged with two counts of Grand Larceny in the third degree, and will head to court in Mineola Tuesday morning.
long island, oceanside, nassau county, long island news, kristin thorne
- London theatre roof collapses; Dozens injured
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Sales: Last minute holiday gifts
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills 49 min ago
- 4 juveniles charges in possible knockout attacks
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos