Long Island News
Jewish Center employee charged with stealing artifacts
OCEANSIDE (WABC) -- Police have arrested a man in Nassau County, Long Island they say stole and tried to pawn items from a Jewish center in Oceanside.
Alex Membreno, 30, worked as a super for the Oceanside Jewish Center, located on 2860 Brower Ave. Detectives say Membreno took numerous religious artifacts from the temple, valued over $20,000.
Further investigation revealed that Membreno pawned many of the items for cash at a local pawn shop.
The investigation is ongoing. Membreno is being charged with two counts of Grand Larceny in the third degree, and will head to court in Mineola Tuesday morning.
long island, oceanside, nassau county, long island news, kristin thorne
- Malaysia Airlines says plane went missing 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos