Long Island News
Snowfall heavy at times on Long Island
SUFFOLK COUNTY (WABC) -- More snow is just what people living on Long Island didn't want to see, particularly in Suffolk County, where snow piles remain after last month's blizzard.
With that and Superstorm Sandy still on many residents' minds, Mother Nature was not cooperating.
Snowfall was heavy at times across the island Friday, with plows and salt trucks on the roads to keep driving conditions as safe as possible.
Still, slick spots remained, particularly on secondary and tertiary streets.
Several car accidents were reported, including one in Sound Beach in which a car skidded into a utility pole. The car was totaled, but thankfully the driver was okay.
A couple of inches accumulated on most lawns and unpaved roads, but for the most part, the main roads were relatively clear. Drivers were urged to use caution, and to take extra time to completely clear the car of snow before hitting the roads.
The snow accumulations were a change from Thursday, when wind and minor street flooding were the biggest issue.
The surf had been angry and the tides high, but not high enough to do any damage. The focus changed Friday, when the heavy snow began falling.
The snow is expected to end by early afternoon, with off-and-on rain present throughout the day before a nice weekend.
long island, suffolk county, snow storm, snow removal, snow, long island news
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 34 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills 6 min ago
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse 6 min ago
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth 27 min ago
- Triple stabbing at Stamford High School
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
6 min ago
- City Council passes plastic foam,...
6 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
34 min ago
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof...
6 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos