Long Island News
Good Samaritan helps save family in Plainview fire
PLAINVIEW (WABC) -- A home on Long Island went up in flames over the weekend, leaving a family homless. When fire engulfed the home, a man risked his life to help a family he'd never met.
"Everything is gone. There's nothing left it's just a disaster," said Jeff Arnold, fire victim.
Jeff Arnold lost it all in the fire. He is starting over and staying at a hotel right around the corner from his home which all but burned to the ground on Sunday morning.
"Everybody got out safe," Arnold said.
He's relieved him and his family made it out alive, thanks in part to a Good Samaritan. He still hasn't met the man.
"There was somebody at the door. I don't know if it was him, I assume it was. Somebody did help my wife out," Arnold said.
The Good Samaritan was Frank Archipolo. He just happened to be driving by on the Seaford-Oyster Bay Expressway that runs behind the Plainview home.
He saw the smoke before the house burst into flames.
"I wasn't thinking about myself at the time. I was just thinking of who was in there," Archipolo said.
He pulled off the highway and in a matter of seconds made it there as the fire and smoke engulfed home.
"The first thing I did was run up, I saw the wife and the husband," Archipolo said.
There were three people inside along with two dogs and he helped get them out.
"I'm yelling, 'Get the people out of the house, get everybody out,'" Archipolo said.
He warned the neighbors about the spreading threat until firefighters could arrive.
"I got the chills thinking of it," Archipolo said.
Looking back the 59-year-old welder for the town of Oyster Bay says its second nature to do what he did.
And he wasn't asking for a pat on the back when Eyewitness News met him.
"I'm the type of guy if you need help or a hand, I'm there," Archipolo said.
He was there.
"I don't know who he is, never met him. I'm glad he was there," Arnold said.
For Jeff Arnold and his family, Frank Archipolo was there with a helping hand when they needed it the most.
long island, fire, long island news, jeff pegues
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 12 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Deal reached on calming Ukraine tensions
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- Mug shot released of McNabb after Ariz. arrest 19 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014