Long Island News
Scaled-down Nassau Coliseum could attract more shows
UNIONDALE -- Nassau County Executive Edward Mangano says a scaled-down Nassau Coliseum could attract more shows and minor league sports.
Mangano on Tuesday released a plan for a "right-sized" arena in a request for proposals to redevelop the 40-year-old sports arena. He's set to formally unveil the plan in his State of the County address Wednesday night.
According to Newsday, Mangano said a smaller arena with 8,000 to 12,000 seats would attract family shows, concerts and minor league sports. The current arena has more than 16,000 seats.
Mangano called it a "practical plan" compared to "the grandiose ones over the years that have not gained approval."
The coliseum's primary tenant, the New York Islanders, is set to depart in 2015 for the new Barclays Center in Brooklyn.
long island, long island news
- Jersey City water main break affecting service 34 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming 37 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions
- LI man to be arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 23 min ago
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral to be held Wednesday
- Video: Queens robber squirts clerk with lighter fluid
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup...
37 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos