Long Island News
Woman dead, man hurt in fire at Manorvillle home
MANORVILLE (WABC) -- A rural Long Island resident who was due in court Wednesday on an eviction notice related to his alleged failure to pay at least $277,000 in property taxes, instead dealt with a house fire that sent him to the hospital and killed a woman believed to be his wife, police and fire officials said.
The house on Eastport-Manor Road in Manorville caught fire just after 9:30 a.m. Wednesday.
"We won't submit to your" was written in large white letters on what was left of the roof.
The victim, believed to be a woman, was found dead inside. The injured resident, identified as 68-year-old Charles Woolsey, was rushed to the hospital.
Manorville Fire Chief Howard Snow said that when firefighters arrived, Woolsey was yelling to them to find his wife. Police said fire officials had to cut a lock with bolt-cutters to gain access to the 15-acre wooded property.
A dog also was found dead in the home.
Lt. Jack Fitzpatrick, chief of the Suffolk County homicide squad, said it was too soon to say what started the fire. He said police have interacted with Woolsey several times over the years, but he declined to discuss specific details.
Suffolk County issued a lien on the property in 2010 for non-payment of property taxes. The lien reflected unpaid taxes for 2005 and 2006, but county spokeswoman Catherine Greene said taxes since then also have not been paid. As of June 2011, the tax debt was $276,842.
The taxes were owed to the town of Brookhaven, but the county has responsibility for their collection, Greene said. The county is proceeding with plans to auction the property later this year.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report)
long island, manorville, fire, deadly fire, long island news
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- Train derail victim's brother speaks out about her death
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- abcnews: North Korea Deports US War Vet Merrill Newman
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- 'Tips for Jesus' man leaves tips worth thousands
- Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Secret Sales: Diamonds, pretzels and iPhone cases