Long Island News
5-alarm fire burns through Port Washington building
PORT WASHINGTON (WABC) -- More than 30 families are homeless on long island after a devastating fire tore through an apartment building Thursday.
Now, the search is on to find out the cause.
Main Street in Port Washington remains closed after heavy smoke and flames forced dozens of residents out of their homes
The blaze broke out at a building directly across the street from the train station.
The firefight was immense, as more than 100 firefighters from six different departments battled well into the night to get the flames under control.
That's because the fire was burning in a hard-to-reach attic space between the top floor and the roof. Investigators are looking into reports that someone on the roof with a blowtorch sparked the fire.
In addition the damaged apartments, two businesses - a cell phone store and a Japanese restaurant - were also completely gutted.
Robert Pachtman, who owned the cell phone store, described the frantic moments after he realized the building was burning.
"I told everyone to evacuate the store, and then I ran into the apartment building," he said. "I started going up the steps, screaming and telling everybody that there was a fire going on, and I didn't know how severe it is, but fire, fire, please get out."
The Red Cross provided temporary shelter overnight for 25 adults and six children, many of who likely have no renters' insurance.
long island, port washington, fire, long island news, josh einiger
- Los Angeles earthquake felt by residents 23 min ago
- Guinness drops St. Pat's Day parade sponsorship
- AccuWeather: Snow for some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Shelton teen critical after being shot in head
- Cop shoots pit bull in Bronx apartment building
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- Rubble cleared, East Harlem blast investigation ramps up
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Crimea parliament declares independence after vote
- Russian media warns of turning US into 'radioactive dust'
- Chris Brown kicked out of rehab, facing jail time
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon